News & Media
Beer Institute Releases 2018 Commitment to Responsibility White PaperDecember 19, 2018
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, the Beer Institute released its 2018 Commitment to Responsibility White Paper, which details the many efforts by America’s brewers and beer importers to reduce drunk driving and ensure alcohol beverages are only sold to adults of legal drinking.
The complete report is available HERE.
“As parents and neighbors, America’s brewers and beer importers are committed to ensuring beer is only consumed legally and safely,” said Jim McGreevy, Beer Institute President and CEO. “That’s why the Beer Institute and our member companies support programs helping parents talk to children about making smarter, safer choices. We promote designated drivers and safe rides home while providing tools to servers and retailers that promote responsible sales, helping prevent sales to minors. And although these programs have had tremendous success, we will continue our work to eliminate driving under the influence and underage drinking.”
Some highlights of Beer Institute member initiatives include:
- Supporting training for more than 12,600 alcohol servers on best practices, such as checking identifications to ensure alcohol is only sold to adults of legal drinking age
- Providing 450 grants to universities and colleges to implement programs that help prevent underage drinking on campuses
- Working with 96 members of Congress in 2018 to develop an annual public service announcement encouraging consumers to find a safe ride home and to drink responsibly during the holiday season
- Ensuring more than 97 percent of the beer ads to which consumers are exposed met the 70 percent placement standard of the audience being 21 years old or older
- Connecting consumers to mass transit, free or discounted rides or other avenues for a safe ride over 6.4 million times since 2011
- Providing more than 3 million booklets to parents and guardians to encourage them to talk to their children about why they should not drink until they turn 21 and to make healthy decisions about alcohol consumption
To learn more about the Beer Institute and its members’ responsibility efforts, visit: http://www.beerinstitute.org/responsibility/
The Beer Institute is a national trade association for the American brewing industry, representing brewers of all sizes, as well as beer importers and industry suppliers. First founded in 1862 as the U.S. Brewers Association, the Beer Institute is committed today to the development of sound public policy and to the values of civic duty and personal responsibility. For additional updates from the Beer Institute, visit our website, follow @BeerInstitute on Twitter, like the Beer Institute on Facebook, and follow the Beer Institute on Instagram.
The Beer Institute
440 First Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
© 2019 Beer Institute :: Legal