This tangy spread keeps well in the refrigerator or freezer. Serve it dramatically in a hollowed-out round loaf of pumpernickel or rye bread. Cut the bread from the center into thin slices and supplement the supply with slices of salty rye or pumpernickel .
- 1 1/2 pounds aged Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 pound Roquefort or blue cheese crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1/3 teaspoon Tabasco
- 2 teaspoons grated onion or chopped chives
- 1 12-ounce bottle or can beer
Grate cheese. Place all ingredients except beer in bowl of electric mixer. Let stand at room temperature about 30 minutes to soften cheese. Mix slowly, adding beer gradually, until spread is smooth and fluffy. Serve immediately or store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator or freezer.
Makes 5 cups canape spread
The Beer Institute
440 First Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
© 2020 Beer Institute :: Legal