Chicken IPA (hoppy and bitter)
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 5 skin-on, bone-in chicken legs or thighs
- 12 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4″ slices
- 2 large carrots, peeled, chopped ¼ inch cubes
- 3 celery stalks, peeled, chopped ¼ inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped ¼ inch cubes
- 16 ounces IPA (hoppy and bitter)
- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- 1 small bunch thyme
- 1 small bunch rosemary
- 1 lb. cremini mushroom cleaned, cut into quarter
In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook bacon, stirring occasionally. Cook until nice and crispy. Remove bacon and place on a paper towel lined plate. Drain remaining bacon grease from Dutch oven.
Add olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Sear chicken for 5-6 minutes per side. Add bacon, carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms and fresh herbs. Cook until golden. Add the IPA (hoppy & bitter). Bring to slow boil until juice is reduced by half. Using some of the chicken broth dissolve flour, creating a slurry, add slowly. Add remaining chicken broth and bring it to a slow boil. Transfer Dutch oven and braise until chicken is tender, about 1¼ hours. At 325 degrees F.