Image of Stuffed Tomatoes taken for the Beer Institute. Recipe was created by Chef Laurent Aubel.
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- ½ lb. pork, ground
- ½ lb. veal, ground
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into small cubes
- ½ celery stalk, cut into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tsp. white rice, uncooked
- ¾ cup lager beer
- ¾ cup veal or chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 320 degrees F.
Horizontally, remove the tops of four large tomatoes and spoon out pulp and seeds. Set top pieces aside. In a bowl, combine minced pork and veal, garlic, shallots, carrots, celery, thyme, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
Fill each tomato with 1 teaspoon of white rice, then add meat mixture. Do not overfill but place tomato top on each one for baking. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add tomatoes and sear bottoms for approximately 5 minutes. Add bay leaves, beer, and stock bringing it to a boil. Remove from heat and place in oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
The Beer Institute
440 First Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
© 2022 Beer Institute :: Legal